If hobby caring for plants, often times we have to buy fertilizer, fertilizer prices are now more expensive. In fact we can make your own wooden bin compost at home, with the raw material waste/trash that was in our house.
There are two types of organic and inorganic waste. Which includes organic waste and can be used as compost material is brown trash (dried leaves, hay, sawdust, wooden bin, rice husk, straw, corn husk, paper is not shiny, stalk vegetables) and green waste (vegetables, fruits, fresh grass clippings, fresh leaves, kitchen waste, waste tea/coffee, eggshells, manure). While the incoming group of inorganic waste is plastic, Styrofoam, paper (shiny), metal, glass etc.
Tools and Materials
Equipment needed is a place to process waste into composter. Various kinds, some made of concrete blocks, plastic jars, baskets (Takakura baskets) or sacks. Materials used to break down the waste into compost are a starter, the micro-organisms decomposing.
We can make the starter itself in a simple way:
1. Rice (new or stale) formed round of ping- pong balls of 4 pieces.
2. Let stand for three days until it comes out yellow mushroom, orange, and gray.
3. Moldy rice balls then put into bottles/plastic containers.
4. Pour a bucket of water that has been mixed with four tablespoons of sugar into the bottle/container containing moldy rice.
5. Let stand for one week. Rice and sugar water mixture will smell sour like “tape”.
Starter can be used to make wooden compost bin, mixed by water. Comparison “Stater” with water is 1:5.
How to Make Compost
Method Takakura Basket:
One family with a number of family members as much as 7 people can use a standard basket with 8 kg of “starter”. Household waste is processed in this basket a maximum of 1.5 kg per day.
- Prepare a basket which small holes and place it in the shade, not exposed to rain and direct sunlight and has good air circulation. Put buffer (brick or can for that matter) on the bottom of the basket so that the flow of air can enter.
- Enter the husks into a container and place it on the bottom of the basket, serves to absorb water, reducing odors and microbial control in air to thrive.
- 3. Search for used cardboard inserted into the basket at the top of the husk pads to accommodate the materials that will be used as wooden compost bin.
- Fill the container with compost starter or approximately 5 cm thick. Composting process serves as a starter because it contains microbes decomposing.
- Enter the material to be composted. The materials that will be used as compost, before being put into the basket should be cut into small size of 2 cm x 2 cm. Smaller the size the faster it will decompose. If too wet, add a husk or sawdust sawn. Stir it every completed include materials to be composted. If necessary add a layer of finished compost. In order for citrus scented compost, you can add the orange peel into the basket.
- To ensure the composting process runs, put our hands 2 cm of compost. When it is warm, you can bet the composting process works well. If not, sprinkle a little water to trigger microorganisms work. Could be compost of wooden bin is too dry to require water.
Perform these activities over and over for 40-60 days. Material that has become compost will be black, odorless and does not tarnish.
How to Harvest
When the compost in the Takakura Basket is full, take 1/3 of it and we finalize for a week in a place that is not exposed to direct sunlight. The remaining 2/3 we can use again as a starter for the next processing. In addition we can use the container baskets also make wooden bin compost with a “bag method” that uses sacks as its container.